Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Skipped a Post but Not a Goal

Well, the title of this post is sort of a lie......sort of.

I did skip a day of posting, but yesterday was filled with writing. The sad part is, that I failed to meet my "one hour of new writing goal". I just can't seem to stop re-writing my introduction to the chapter. This inability to "move on" until I have "perfected" my introduction is definitely a weakness. Just like I know I should follow an outline, I know I should write each section of my chapter and then worry about the introduction. After all, my chapter has been known to resemble a shape shifter: it starts out in one form and ends morphed into a totally different being. So the logical practice would seem to be to write and then revise the intro. However, I never said I was logical. So here I am rewriting this intro over and over and over. At this point I have 7 suitable introductions that will each take my chapter in a different direction. Maybe now is the time to give up academic writing and try my hand at authoring a "choose your own adventure book". What I have learned today is that my first draft (shocker!) was probably the best. Which means that I should be able to move on from my introduction, but I just can't! But try I must! So tonight I am going to try to put this pesky intro to bed. I am  giving myself 2 hours and then I am washing my hands of it (at least until I get feedback from my committee which will inevitably instantiate a whole new onslaught of editing and revising)...

With that said, I did meet my body goals for the week. Today I ran for 3 miles outside (it almost felt like a fall evening) and I went to a pilates class on Sunday. I also plan to go to a Spin class tomorrow and yoga on Friday morning. I am also halfway to my socalizing goal (had dinner and what seemed like a never ending bottle of wine with a friend last night) and this weekend I plan on taking a few days to spend time with my darling niece Ella and my not-so-little brother who just came back from a 2 week vacation in New England.

So there you have it. My procrastinating seems to be down (although I did sneak in an episode of Khloe and Lamar this morning as I cleaned) and my ideas seem to be clarifying themselves. I feel stronger, physically, and am actually feeling good about being just three weeks from putting this chapter to bed - or at least a down for a little nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment