Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 1

Inspired by my dear friend Elana, I am embarking on a 30 day chapter challenge. This is a total experiment, and I am modifying Elana's voice challenge, which was modified from a dance challenge, and transforming it all into a writing challenge. Now, let me bracket all of this by noting that Elana and I are no strangers to goals. Circa 2006 we made project plans that were, if I might say so myself, wildly successful. This time I have swapped out my goal of getting a new blow dryer with writing a solid draft of the second chapter of my dissertation.

The goal: to complete a draft of my second chapter in 30 days. Now I am no stranger to creating goals for myself. In the beginning of the summer I promised to finish writing chapter 2 by July 1st. As July 1st crept around I pushed that date back to July 15th, August 4th, and well...now September 4th. The difference this time is that I am making benchmarks that I have to meet!

Now, having already completed something akin to chapter 1 - a process that have been known to alternately compare to (1) giving birth (although I have never done this), (2) living in hell, (3) some variation of giving birth while in hell - I have determined to mix chapter writing with other activities that will help me keep some semblance of sanity, grow professionally, and promote overall mental and physical wellness.

So here are the goals that I will meet:

1. Dedicate 1 hour per day to new writing (this is particularly important since I have been known to spend WEEKS editing the same paragraph)

2. Spend 30 minutes editing previous writing.

3. Schedule and attend one meeting with each of my three dissertation directors.

4. Attend at least one academic event (lecture, book signing, workshop).

5. Submit at least one proposal for a conference or publication.

6. Attend at least 2 weekly gym classes, one of which is mind-body (Yoga, pilates, meditation).

7. Revise dissertation proposal based on new research and submit to all committee members.

8. Have at least 3 get-togethers with other graduate student friends to share ideas and just catch up.

9. Have at least 2 get-togethers per week with non-school friends.

10. Visit family one time.

11. Read a new issue of any academic journal of my choice.

12. Create updated annotated bibliography for chapter and update weekly with new texts and new findings.

So, I will at least walk away with 30 new pages of writing and since I already have about 20 pages of chapter 2, I will be able to submit a draft to my committee members by September 4th!!


Wish me luck!!!

1 comment: