Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 3...Dreaming of Sutton Griggs and Stella McCartney

Day 3. 8:45pm. Saturday night. Brain dead. Need I say more? Well, actually, I have to say a whole lot more for a whole hour. Somehow the third day of the challenge feels a whole lot less glamorous than day 1 and 2. Maybe it's the fact that I tried to work this morning but couldn't get a coherent sentence out. Maybe it's the fact that I still am not sure what this chapter is even going to be about. Or maybe, and this one may be the winner, it's the fact that I worked ALL day at Intermix, a clothing store that serves as one of my part time jobs (gradschool life).

Something about retail is just so draining. There is also something about working in a high end retail store that makes you rethink the whole gradschool/PhD/perpetually poor thing. And Fall is especially hard, because not only am I hounded by my own mind telling me that school starts again in just three weeks, but I am also confronted with fall clothes likes cords, furs, leather, boots, sweaters, and colors like cranberry, and cobalt, and olive green. (Did I mention I have a slight clothing compulsion?) So as I am at work, pondering what I really have to say about Sutton Griggs and photography, which happens to be the alleged topic of this chapter, I often find myself wondering if I wouldn't be happier with a "normal" life and a "normal" job, where I would be able to surround myself with these beautiful items in the comfort of my own home. Believe me, it sounds like a no brainer, but I honestly find myself thinking about this often. WHICH brings me to 8:45, now 8:58, on a Saturday night as I sit simultaneously haunted by the ghosts of Sutton Griggs and those Stella McCartney camel trousers.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who led a 9 to 5 life, trust me, its NOT worth it! However being around that stuff would tempt me, too!

    ReplyDelete